Image Map

Saturday, June 8, 2013

A taste of culture.


Carrie Bradshaw in some episode of Sex In The City Said that the sound of New York is Ambulances. 
And I see how she got that, I mean there are often loud sounds like that around the city.
Although I'm a loyal fan of this character, after being here for such a short time I have to disagree.
I think the sound of New York is a mixture of all the different languages and cultures. 
On a single subway ride I might be sitting beside someone speaking spanish and looking across at two 
people speaking Korean. 
All the girls I work with speak Russian. 
German, French, and Italian words fill my ears everyday. 

My first official day of work was yesterday. 
It was okay and to be perfectly honest it is a lot easier to want to work when you know you are actually getting paid. 
It rained all day in the city.
A rainy day in New York is a miserable day in New York.


I decided since it was rainy and I had to work for 9 hours I deserved a treat!



I was suppose to go to some Jazz club with Amanda after work was over...
But after a 9 hour shift I was relieved to read a text from Amanda saying "Jazz club is a no go want to come over drink wine, eat pizza and watch a movie?".
YES!

Amanda lives in Harlem so I got to ride a 3 train which I had not done yet.
Oh and her apartment is amazing.
She pays a little bit more than I do for mine and the size difference is incredible.



The pictures don't even begin to show how cute the apartment is. 
I was in LOVE! 

So this is our night in a nutshell:


Which didn't take long to become this: 


I started telling Amanda about how A and I were suppose to hang out that night and of course again he blew me off. 
Amanda thought for a second and got a look on her face... 
She said 
Did he tell you he wanted to see you tomorrow right after the date?
yes. 
Did he keep telling you how cute you were? 
yes. 
Did he tell you he liked you? 
yes. 
(I was thinking.. did I tell her about this already?)

Amanda informed me this is the three biggest guy pick up lines in New York to get someone to sleep with them. 
Oh you New York guys are tricky tricky! 
They feed ya all the good lines and text ya a bit and you never see them again. 
I told Amanda I wasn't even mad she told me this. I was relieved. 
I'm glad I know now. 

We spent the rest of our night drinking our double bottle of wine comparing date stories and laughing.
Amanda also explained to me the soup rule regarding guys.. which I will give more details about in a later post. 

Today was Tareva and Angel's Baby shower! 
Let me explain the background story on how I met them! 

This past New Years me and my two best friends growing up spent New Years in NYC and then took a cruise to the Bahamas. 
At dinner on the cruise we sat with the sweetest couple ever (Tareva and Angel). 
My friends and I got very close with them and they shared with us they were having a baby. 
So we threw them a surprise baby shower at dinner one night! 
That night we were deemed the baby Joelle's Fairy God Mothers. 

So of course Tareva kindly reached out to me when I moved to the city and invited me to her baby shower. 
Now I've been to a couple of baby showers in my time. 
They usually consist of 20 women, finger sandwiches, present opening, and cake. 
But I've never been to a Spanish baby shower... which I was informed upon arriving is a little different! 
The baby shower invitation said from 5pm until 10pm. 
To me that meant that people could come and go as they wanted but I was surprised by how late it was. 
Most I've been to start at like 2 and end at 4. 
I arrived at the church the baby shower was being held at around 5:30pm. 
The moment I walked in the doors I heard loud spanish music coming from downstairs. 
I actually asked a lady where the baby shower was and she pointed towards the loud music. 
I walked in and was overwhelmed for a second. 
There were men, there was food, there was coronas, a bartender, there was loud music, there was dancing, and then I saw Angel and knew I was in the right place.
I ran up and gave him a big hug! 


And he took me over to Tareva! 


Tareva introduces me to several of her close friends and family and I am instantly welcomed with opened arms and made to feel like i'm apart of the family. 
These spanish people really know how to have a good time! 

Ya know just a little food to start.... 



Ok, a lot of food. Most I had never tried before like banana and gizzards (I didn't try this) and spanish roasted pork (which I tried and loved). 

Oh and of course the most amazing desserts you could ever imagine! 





This included a cupcake called a 3 milk cup cake or in spanish, Tres Leches. 
It is called this because it is made with three different kinds of milks. 
Oh and it is the most delicious cup cake I've ever had in my entire life (on left). 


Well as the night went on the dancing began to pick up! 
This is a scene from my life tonight. 




This was easily one of the most fun parties I've ever been to and by far the best baby shower. 
Joelle is a lucky baby to have such cool parents! 
And it was amazing to feel so welcomed and be somewhere with lots of great people. 
I needed a little family time, even if it wasn't my own family it was nice to have so much love and happiness around me. 

So they not only provided everyone with food, fun, and drinks but also lots of little gifts to take home. 

Everyone was wearing these blue diaper pins.. so cute. 


White chocolate baby carriage with candy inside! 


Candies from Puerto Rico 



Oh and of course Tareva's mom would think to give everyone to-go plates to make sure we had enough food! 


It has been such an amazing night. 
I got to experience different food and music while spending it with such a loving family! 

I just know that my baby shower better be like this one! 
Oh and I better be invited to Tareva and Angels wedding... because if this was a baby shower I can't imagine what a blast that will be! 

Nighty Night! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover